Sunday 17 February 2019

Building a new computer

Happy Sunday :)

At the moment my computer is a 2011 Macbook Pro, last year Apple decided to stop updating the OS (Operating System) and due to my failing sight its time to go back to a windows machine. Another reason for going back to windows is that they have much better options for visually impaired people.

So as a start I've bought myself a new keyboard, I've gone for a Cooler Master Masterkeys MK 750, this is a gaming keyboard that has coloured LED's under the keys, link http://www.coolermaster.com/peripheral/keyboards/masterkeys-mk750/, this has cherryMX brown switches, so its a clicky keyboard but not as loud or clicky if I'd gone for cherry blue switches. When you type all day for your job and then type when you get home a nice keyboard and typing experience is essential and as I also suffer from phonophobia when I have migraine I didnt want super clicky keys, my hubs has a Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S with cherry MX brown switches and its really nice to type on.

I bet you never knew there were so many different types of keys either, at the moment I am typing on an apple keyboard, the flat one, its a good typing experience but the keys are a little difficult for me to see now as they are white keys with a greyish letter.


If you want to know more about switches on keyboards this is a pretty good video to watch



I've also ordered a NZXT H200 Mini Tower case in blue, link below, I dont need a big monster case like my hubs machine which has to sit under the desk, this is small enough that it will sit on my desk.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/nzxt-h200-blue-black-mini-itx-computer-chassis-w-tempered-glass-window-mitx-2x-120mm-aer-fans-2x-usb

Thats the start of the machine, next on the list will be a Ryzen 5 gen 2 6 core CPU, 16 GB of RAM, a 1Tb SSD, a power supply and a copy of windows 10, still debating on whether to get windows Office or not, I use google sheets for my Zoya spreadsheet but I havent used their word equivalent yet.

I'm really looking forward to getting my new machine, my poor MacBook is one its last legs, its getting quite slow even though I upgraded the hard drive to a 500GB SSD and 16GB of RAM. The CPU is only a Intel Core i5 2.3GHz think its a first or second gen one.











No comments:

Post a Comment